Friday, January 28, 2011

A Song for Ella

I wrote this over three years ago, a few months after Ella was born:


When I think of you all I do is smile
I'm comin' home, daydreamin' all the while
'Cause being away is tugging at my heart
All these miles between us are tearing me apart

I remember that day when you came into this world
There you were, a perfect little girl
Your mother and I - full of hope and nerves, oh boy
That's when I first had these wondrous tears of joy

I hear that thunder, and the cool spring rain
Bringing new life, and washing away the pain
It's all around us, like a gift from Him above
So innocent and pure - it's unconditional love
So many things remind me of that time
When I first saw that little girl of mine

And being away is tugging at my heart
All this miles between us are tearing me apart

I remember that day when you came into this world
And there you were, a perfect little girl
You're mother and I p full of hope and nerves, oh boy
That's when I first had these wondrous tears of joy

The last time I saw you was only two weeks ago
But each time I come home I see how much you've grown
I can't explain the feeling that's inside
Being your Daddy brings me so much pride
Your precious face, and the dimple in your cheek
Your big blue eyes watching me, the guidance that you seek

So many things to come, seeing you grow up
Walking and talking, and getting your first pup
Fifty years together doesn't seem like enough time
To spend my days with this little girl of mine
That's why I quit this long and lonely road today
To be close to you and watch you laugh and play

Cause being away was tugging at my heart
All those miles between us were tearing me apart

I remember that day when you came into this world
And there you were, a perfect little girl
Now here I am, to be with you and say
I'm so thankful for each and every day

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At January 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing. It brings tears to my eyes. I love you all,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

No Spam!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home